Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavior Therapy (TF-CBT) is a mental health treatment model designed for children ages 3- 18 who are experiencing difficulties after trauma exposure such as sexual abuse, exposure to violence, or a natural disaster. TF-CBT was developed by Judy Cohen, M.D., Anthony Mannarino, Ph.D. and Esther Deblinger, Ph.D.
TF-CBT is an evidenced-based intervention that is a SAMHSA best practice in the treatment of childhood posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Features of TF-CBT:
- Treatment is short-term. On average, TF-CBT is completed over 18-24 weekly sessions.
- TF-CBT is skills–based. Families are taught many skills in sessions, such as relaxation, to reduce trauma-related distress. In order for treatment to be effective, therapists will also ask children and caregivers to practice and use these skills at home and other places where stress may occur.
- TF-CBT involves the family. Caregivers are actively included in treatment with their child and are key to successful outcomes. Typically, therapists in each TF-CBT session will spend individual time with the child, check in separately with the caregiver, and include combined family time. However, when a child does not have a caregiver who can be involved in treatment, TF-CBT treatment can still be effective in reducing childhood trauma symptoms.
- Sessions will be structured. TF-CBT therapists will have a planned focus for each session to cover skills and activities known to be important for reducing distress related to trauma.
- Treatment will be engaging to the family! TF-CBT therapists will strive to be creative and tailor activities to engage children and provide an enjoyable and safe treatment experience.
Project Intersect provides intensive training in Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT) to therapists in Georgia currently serving or interested in serving clients who have been commercially sexually exploited. There are two levels of training:
Foundations Trainings provide intensive training in basic TF-CBT. This training is for therapists who may have only limited familiarity with TF-CBT or more knowledge and experience but have not completed prior TF-CBT training and consultation with a certified trainer. Learn more
Keystones Trainings provide intensive training in CSEC-specific applications of TF-CBT with youth and their families who have experienced Commercial Sexual Exploitation. This training is for experienced TF-CBT therapists. > Learn more